There are the 2 popular install methods at Site5:
- Standard WordPress Installer (the WordPress built-in installer, on this page)
- Fantasctio 1-Click Installer (Free one-click installer available at Site5)
Standard Install — The traditional way to install WordPress. A brief overview of steps: first download the package, upload it to the server, configure the database and follow the WordPress installer.
Fantastico 1-click installer — Fantastico is a very popular 1-click installer. It’s quick, easy to use and highly recommended for new WordPress users. Fantastico takes care of all the technical details. Simply enter your site info and click install. Visit the install WordPress at Site5 using Fantastico guide.
We hope you find this guide helpful. If you do, please share your Site5 experience with others by using the social buttons above and leaving a Site5 review for others to learn from.
Watch Install Video or Follow Steps Below:
Before you begin
- Site5 Account (Sign up)
- Site5 Email & Password
- DNS configured (Domain name pointed to Site5 Server)
Step 1: Download WordPress
- Download the WordPress Package (.zip) from: http://wordpress.org/download/ *Note at the time of this documents creation WordPress 3.2.1 was the current version. It’s recommended to download the latest version, what ever that version maybe.
Step 2: Go to Site5 Backstage
- Click on ‘Client Login’ at http://Site5.com (In the upper right corner).
Step 3: Login to Site5 Backstage
- Enter your Email, Password and click ‘LOGIN’
Step 4: Go to ‘File Manager’
- Click ‘File Manager’ which is under the “Files” section (Confirm that you want to use ‘File Manager’ in next screen. Not pictured.).
Step 5: Use ‘File Manager’ to upload WordPress Package
- Verify you are in the ‘public_html’ folder (This is the top level folder).
- Click Upload. In the upload window, click ‘Choose File’ or ‘Browse’. Locate on your computer and select the WordPress Install Package (The ‘.ZIP’ file) that was downloaded from WordPress.org, and click ‘Open’ (Not Pictured).
- Highlight Uploaded Package (back in the File Manager after using the upload window).
- Click ‘Extract’ (There should not be ANY files or folders except the ‘cgi bin’ in the directory you install to. Extra files could break WordPress).
- Double Click to open the newly created ‘wordpress’ folder.
*Optional – You can also upload the .Zip of WordPress already extracted via FTP. We recommend Filezilla FTP client software for this.
Step 6: Move Files Into Root Directory
- Confirm you are in the ‘wordpress’ directory.
- Click ‘Select all’.
- Click ‘Move File’. You will now see a pop up screen. In the popup screen, delete ‘wordpress’ after /public_html/ and click ‘Move File(s)’ (not pictured). *Note this moves the WordPress installation to the main domain or ‘root directory’ of the website. If you want to keep WordPress in a subfolder, you can simply leave folder and files the way they are or rename the ‘wordpress’ folder to any other name.
Step 7: Go to MySQL Database Creation Screen
- Click on ‘MySQL Databases’ after scrolling down to the ‘Databases’ section in the cPanel tab of the Site5 control panel.
Step 8: Create MySQL Database
- Create a New Database by entering the name where it says ‘New Database: YOURUNIQUEID_XXXX’ (For droplinemenu.com, our database is called ‘dropline_WORDPRESS’).
- Click ‘Create Database and Add User’.
Step 9: Create and Add Database User
- Create a New User by entering the username where it says ‘Username: YOURUNIQUEID_XXXX’ (For droplinemenu.com our username is ‘dropline_USER’), next enter the password (the stronger the password the better).
- Click Finish.
Step 10: Start the WordPress Install
- Visit http://YOURDOMAIN.com/install.php
- Click ‘Create Configuration File’ *Note this checks to see if you have already configured your Databases and added them to a wp-config.php file. Since you have not created this file one will be automatically created for you.
Step 11: Gather your Database Information
- Click ‘Let’s go!’ after making sure you have your database information ready to go.
Step 12: Enter Database information
- Enter your Database Name
- Enter your Database Username
- Enter your Password
- Don’t change ‘Database Host’ or ‘Table Prefix’ unless you know what you’re doing. These settings work for a majority of people.
- Click ‘Submit’.
Step 13: Run the WordPress installer
- Click ‘Run the install’
Step 14: Configure WordPress Site Settings
- Enter your site’s name. For us it is ‘Dropline Menu’. This is short, concise name for your site.
- Pick the WordPress administrator’s username. We went with the default which is ‘admin’. For increased security feel free to use a different admin user name.
- Create a strong WordPress administrator password.
- Choose the administrator’s email. This is where the installation information will be sent on completion as well as the email that wordpress will send your forgotten password or username.
- Check ‘allow my site to appear in search engines like google and technorati’ to keep your site public and available to be found by search engines.
- Click ‘Install WordPress’
Step 15: WordPress Installation Completion
- Click ‘Log In’ to see the administrator interface of your new WordPress installation
Step 16: Log In to WordPress
- Enter your administrator username and password for your WordPress site and click ‘Log In’ *NOTE – This can also be done by visiting YOURDOMAIN.COM/WP-ADMIN for us it’s DROPLINEMENU.COM/WP-ADMIN (not pictured).
Congratulations! You are ready to start using WordPress to develop your website! Just have your login information handy and you are set.
Step 17: Visit Your New WordPress Site
- Visit the “Frontend” of the site to make sure it is working properly by visiting it at YOURDOMAIN.COM ours was DROPLINEMENU.COM
Other Site5 WordPress Install Methods: